Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Some more pictures from Dublin and Letterkenny

Here are just a few pictures from my two stays in Dublin, and from my stay in Letterkenny.


I came upon this store on one of my walks through Dublin.



There are many public monuments in Dublin. This is one of two memorials to the Famine. It is one of the many famine memorials throughout Ireland.
"Famine" by Edward Delaney, St. Stephen's Green, Dublin














St. Patrick's Cathedral, Dublin
At St. Patrick's Cathedral is the reputed site of St. Patrick's well.

The Law Officers Memorial in Dublin


































Scenes from Letterkenny (where I spent three weeks at the cathedral).


The Church of Ireland Church (parts date to the 17th century) on the left, the R.C. Cathedral (1901) on the right.


In Letterkenny, I met one of the Church of Ireland priests, who made sure I saw the monuments that are found going up the hill from Cathedral Square.
The monument to those killed in the First World War

The monument at the site of Sentry Hill, where the men would watch our for the British while Mass was being celebrated at the local Mass rock.

One of the doors of Letterkenny Cathedral

Pretty much every town of any size had a workhouse during the Famine, and they all had cemeteries with unmarked graves.

View of Letterkenny from across the river

No comments:

Post a Comment