Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Dublin Day Three

Went to the National Library of Ireland and registered for my reader’s card. Used the Irish Times on-line database and found three McEnery obituaries. Looked at some Friends of Irish freedom material, and a couple of books on Ulster emigration to America—all published in the US! Went to the Chester Beatty Library, famous, among other things, for its collection of early scripture fragments. I went back to my room for a nap, and woke up towards evening.

I also received an e-mail from a Belleville native, a numismatist (coin collector) who is studying the early copper industry in Belleville and a private mint that was set up there. We will exchange information.

On my way to pick up Eileen the day before we left, I went to use the DuPont archives in Belleville to see a letter from John Mitchel of Belleville, who was working for the Bellona Powder Mill and was making some contacts of behalf of DuPont. He was trying to get Nicolas Roosevelt to hurry up with the steam engine he was building for DuPont.

No comments:

Post a Comment