Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Dublin Days One and Two

Arrived in Dublin yesterday. I came with my brother and sister-in-law from Doolin, and we stopped at the Famine Museum in Strokestown on the way. It was interesting, but there was a lot of texts and very few objects. The many papers from the Mahon family (the owners of the house) were interesting.
Once I found my way in yesterday and got settled, I decided just to relax.

This morning I headed out to Mass at the Cathedral, and ended up at the 11:00 sung Latin Mass (novus ordo). I took a walk around town before and after. Dublin is swarming with tourists and with sports fans. 
This afternoon I headed off to Old Kilmainham Road, where some Curleys were living in a tenement around 1908-1910. These may have been the relatives that Michael Curley supposedly wrote to, “Old Kilmainham” having probably been handed down in the tradition as “Old Killarney”. I didn’t quite get all the way, but it was obvious that the neighborhood has been rebuilt, and the tenements long gone.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment